Friday, November 7, 2008

Obama's Win

I was so nervous after voting on Tuesday that I took my dog to the dog park for three hours just to stay away from the Internet and TV. At least one of us could be happy. In the evening, I sat down to watch CNN with great trepidation. My husband went to bed, thinking that it would be a long drawn out event, the conclusion of which wouldn't be known until the next morning, if then.

They called Pennsylvania for Obama, then Ohio, then Virginia. I walked upstairs and, when my husband spoke sleepily to me, I told him that I thought he should get up and come downstairs to watch. He said that they wouldn't know anything until morning and was amazed when I told him that McCain had conceded and Obama was about to make a speech.

To say I was tremendously relieved and happy would be an understatement. Obama was the first candidate in my life about whom I have gotten excited. He was the first candidate to whom I have given money and for whom I have worked. Early on I was impressed with him. The way he handled himself during the campaign only caused my admiration for him to grow. Rather than rising to the bait and being drawn into partisan squabbling, he kept his eye on the goal and patiently explained what he planned to do if he were elected President. What made me crazy were the people who didn't listen to him and then represented his positions as totally different from what he had stated.

My greatest fear was that the Republicans' scare tactics were going to work again. I was also afraid that people's short sightedness was going to work against their own self-interest: that people in the $250,000 up earnings group would not understand that it wouldn't help if their taxes didn't go up (even if only to the level of Clinton taxes) if they didn't have a job and if the country was being driven off a cliff. The good news was that there were people who were able to realize that their self-interest was directly tied to the good of the country, even if they would pay more in taxes. As a friend's husband said, "This is going to cost us but it's the right thing to do."

There are big challenges ahead, not only for Obama but for all of us. Like Detroit, we have been operating on the wrong model for too long and now it's caught up with us. We need to retool and start building our lives on a sustainable basis, as Detroit needs to start building more energy efficient cars. It's not easy but Americans have shown the ability to rise to the occasion when called. Think of the recycling which went on during World War II and the Victory Gardens in almost every backyard. A time of crisis provides the opportunity for change if we are willing to seize the moment and if we have a leader to inspire us to be our best selves. I am heartened by the prospect of a President who believes that government has a positive role to play in citizen's lives but also understands the importance of individual responsibility and is willing to hold people to it. It's been a long time coming.
___________________________________________
The day after the election, I was looking through the speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. (If you haven't read his I Have A Dream speech recently, it is well worth rereading: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/presidents/35_kennedy/psources/ps_ dream.html
In one of his speeches is a story about an elderly black woman who was walking in a civil rights march. When asked if she was tired, she said, "My feets is tired but my soul is rested."



1 comment:

edc1951 said...

You expressed so many of the same thoughts and feelings that I had. I have been excited about candidates in primaries before but had never seen any of them win their party's nomination. I think this is a hopeful time and have been very emotional about what it means to so many people for whom hope was all but dead. It has been wonderful to receive so many messages from foreign friends as well.